Saturday, June 18, 2011

Jeans or No Jeans? That is the question.

"Hi Trish, when the Bible says "modest apparel," do you think that it means that women shouldn't wear jeans or any pants in general? I don't wear those "skinny" jeans that are popular today, but just your average Levi's. Would you (or should I say would God) think that they are acceptable for a woman to wear? Most of the women in my conservative church wear skirts most of the time, even when they aren't in church. " Bridget


Bridget, Thank you for inquiring. There are modest jeans and immodest jeans, to say jeans are a sin is to go further than Scripture and thus legalism. Just remember that we are always in the presence of God and should dress to show our reverence to Him, no matter where we are going (1 Cor 10:31).

Personally, I typically don't where jeans or pants. I have several pairs in my closet but I'm not very comfortable wearing them. I tend to wear skirts a lot though. They are comfortable and fit almost any occasion. As I'm typing this, I have one on. And the green one in the picture featured in the post is my favorite.

I may have taken my 'skirt' wearing to the extreme, however. For sometime now, I've wanted a leaf blower for my yard but spending $40 was out of the question. So like a good steward, I found one on Craigslist for $10! Not a bad deal.



My husband looked at the picture online and thought it seemed decent so he bought it for me, brought it home, and like a good husband he tested it out first. It was super loud. No wonder it was inexpensive.


He blew a few leaves out of the garage and then I gave it a whirl. Oh wait; did I mention I was planning on doing yard work wearing my favorite skirt? 30 seconds later my skirt was sucked up into the engine of the obnoxiously loud leaf blower. Now I know why it was so inexpensive. There was no engine cover! The lesson that day was twofold: there are some things you don’t buy on Craigslist and don’t garden in a skirt, especially your favorite one.


Picture above: Taken in front of Yad VaShem in Jerusalem (Holocaust History Museum). I just got through witnessing to this young lady who was with a group of people called "Walk About Love".

12 comments:

Ginger said...

Ha! Funny story!
Good post. A lot of people hear talk about modesty and assume legalism, but the Bible talks about modesty several times. We just have to be careful that we are seeking to please the Lord w/ our dress, rather than just making up our own rules of righteousness.

Fish With Trish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shane Dodson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shane Dodson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shane Dodson said...

Okay, I didn't realize I was signed in under my husband, Shane. I don't have an account apparently so, that last comment was from me Tammi Dodson! We are friends on FB...can I write to you on there for future reference : ) I just saw this blog and wanted to thank you and encourage you.

Chipper said...

Trish- that is too funny! Glad you didn't get hurt; sorry about your skirt...hey I'm a poet and didn't know it. Heh, heh, heh.

Anna Havanka said...

Thanks for this, I've been thinking about skirt wearing for a while. Right now, I've settled on wearing longer shirts that cover my behind rather than skirts because that is what my husband prefers over skirts.

Jameka Williams said...

Trish, I'm glad you survived to share your story :) A couple of months into my marriage I was convicted by the tight clothing I wore. Initially, I would get soo upset. I wasn't considering how my tight jeans may have helped to give rise to lust in those around me. I found that it was my pride that frustrated me more than anything. I thought that I should be able to wear what I liked and before I was born again, I LOVED jeans!
But I realized that I was getting too caught up! I asked myself, "whether or not wearing jeans would matter a 100 years from now?" However, continuing in pride and seducing others could lead me to Hell. Since the jeans I owned were questionable, I got rid of them.
Since then, I've been able to find loose fitting cargo pants and some denim jeans but they don't last long because washing shrinks them.
However, I have come to enjoy wearing skirts more!

Lori Williams said...

This was a great post...I too have been contemplating the skirt issue, simply because I cant find any modest shorts. I have resulted to capris and jeans most of the time, but skirts is definitly my new outlook for a lot of occasions. THank you for the perspective!

Rambling Ceejay said...

So sorry to hear about you accident with the leaf blower! I love you blog. I am glad I stumbled upon it. My girls and I are MOSTLY skirt wearing for modesty. I have to say that your blog hit a special spot with me. I guess I am still living too much in this world because I always wondering what people are thinking..LOL I guess, I am still learning how to be a contemporary skirt wearer.

Rambling Ceejay said...

Thanks for the awesome post. My girls and I wear skirts only as well. I really struggle trying to be contemporary skirt wearer, but at the same time- I really feel they are nice and modest.

Jill said...

Hi Trish. I am so grateful for what you shared. I wrote about this subject on my blog - 'Modesty Becomes You'. I, too, wear skirts almost all the time, but discovered that it was not very modest (or lady-like) when I try to squat in my skirt to pull weeds! I had to throw on some long, loose shorts (covering my knees), and the job went much better. ;) Thanks for sharing!